Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2021
This Earth Day, we’re highlighting FIVE ways to help the Earth right here in Naples.
1. Composting. Have you heard about Naples Compost? Instead of throwing your food scraps in the garbage, throw them in your compost bin and Naples Compost will come pick it up. Shop on their website for bins and pickup pricing.
2. Shop Second Hand. Naples has some of the best consignment and thrift shopping. From shops like Designer Divas, Audrey’s of Naples, and True Fashionistas, you can find secondhand designer looks for less. Shopping secondhand creates less waste and uses less resources than buying new items.
3. Stop Using Plastic. We know you’ve heard this before, but bring your reusable shopping bags with you to stores. Not just grocery stores but ALL stores when you shop. There’s really no need to use plastic bags anymore for shopping. Many stores, like Publix, have a spot to bring your old plastic bags. Additionally, say no to single-use plastics. Changing small habits can really add up, like when you order takeout, say no to plastic spoons and forks and just use your own.
4. Donate your unused/like new items. The consignments stores mentioned above, St. Matthews House, Habitat for Humanity’s ReStore, and The Shelter Options Shoppe are all great options for donating your items. As a bonus, many times these donation are tax deductible.
5. Recycle. Pay attention to your recycling habits and read up on what Naples City and Collier County recycles. For instance, don’t place your recyclables in a plastic garbage bag and then put that in your recycling bin.